Specialties: Human Capital, Education, Talent Acquisition, Recruitment, Recruitment Branding, Employer Branding, Global Human Resources, Vendor Management, Interactive Advertising, Technology Recruitment
•Ensure that Teacher Recruitment and Quality’s (TRQ's) service delivery is seamless and maximizes the full spectrum of tools, supports, and systems for optimal school staffing.
•Manage a portfolio of 109 schools and associated networks to drive “strategic staffing” support where needed.
•Lead R&D on how to best design staffing supports (includes, design, implementation, and continuous improvement).
•Facilitate feedback and focus group sessions to gather a deeper understanding of how to better position TRQ in support of schools.
•Partner with the Executing Director in order to review where staffing falls within the Department of Education’s Quality Review and how can this be better leveraged across divisions.
•Increase TRQ’s role in new teacher onboarding and its impact on retention by designing a formal system-wide onboarding program for new teacher hires.
• Lead 8 member team to oversee the weekly rotation of teachers in the ATR pool; realized lowest ever rate of the # of ATRs by way of 70% + reduction in the pool since the spring of 2011.
• Manage 8 permanent and 12 seasonal call center staff.
• Develop job search support strategy to pedagogues at closing schools; realized 87% satisfaction rating.
• Serve as expert on policies related to internal teacher populations (transfer and excess) and provide guidance to key divisional leaders.
• Create and deliver professional development content, webcasts and events, resulting in 80% recommendation of services by users to their colleagues in the Center’s first year
• Coach teachers to become more student focused through use of data
• Produce reports against established metrics and benchmarks to strategically differentiate services
• Developed and manage complex data collection system to track the progress of internal teachers seeking transfers to new schools, achieving 90% accuracy in Center’s first year
• Oversee marketing activities, including internal branding, creation of website, and Google analytics
• Manage contract with CRM technology vendor, including bugs, updates and data imports
• Manage seasonal 12 person ambassador call center including scheduling, payroll and issue resolution
• Collaborate with HR Directors and principals to resolve staffing issues appropriately
I love considering all sorts of unconventional opportunities- don't hesitate to contact me to discuss yours.
I am the Founder of The Opportunities Project, a national talent development, recruitment consulting & career coaching agency. I'm also the author of the books Confessions of a Teacher Recruiter: How to Create an Extraordinary Resume and Hook Your Dream Job, and Create Your Own Opportunities: Coach Yourself to Career Success.
I became an entrepreneur to change the national conversations about work, education and success, and serve the individuals who want to live their best professional lives as well as the organizations who hire them as employees or service providers. Through The Opportunities Project's talent development and coaching work, we've helped 1,000+ individuals reach career success through speaking engagements, workshops, and one-on-one and group coaching since opening in 2010. Through our recruitment consulting, we have helped clients hire 900+ new team members.
Before starting my company and becoming a certified coach, I spent a decade successfully working in recruitment and education, including serving as the Director of Teacher Recruitment for the New York City Department of Education, one of the largest employers in the United States. I supervised the recruitment, selection and hiring of 5,000+ teachers annually and led my team to a second place victory in the annual Best Employer Brand contest sponsored by ERE, an international recruitment association.
My career advice regularly appears in national media outlets, including Mashable and CBS MoneyWatch, and I've been a featured speaker at many conferences, including the Brazen Careerist Social Recruiting Conference, CollegeRecruiter.com FedCollege Conference, #140edu, and TEDx. I also serve as a career expert for Rising Tide, a new initiative that brings guidance to help you achieve your best in life as part of the Tide brand's commitment to service.
- Train recruiters on marketing, recruitment and selection best practices
- Create an applicant experience that attracts high quality talent
- Execute targeted branding, marketing and social recruiting campaigns
- Design data-driven & efficient selection processes
- Coach recruiters & hiring managers on the interviewing process
- Implement recruitment process outsourcing (RPO) models focused on building organizational capacity
We managed a 2 year 900+ hire RPO model for Newark Public Schools sponsored by the Mark Zuckerberg funded Foundation for Newark's Future, and have worked with charter schools nationally.
- Aspiring entrepreneurs
- Women or other individuals underrepresented in their field (e.g., STEM, politics, etc.)
- New leaders & managers
- Teachers & education professionals
- Large organizations hiring 200+ new employees seeking to scale their approaches
- Small organizations building recruiting infrastructures while conducting their first searches
- Organizations who want to maximize their recruitment department's performance
- Schools, districts and charter management organizations