New rules on how to proceed with 3020-a arbitration in NYC were discussed.
Among those rules, which have been told to me by 5 arbitrators, are:
1. speed up the cases by doing closing quickly the last day of testimony - do not allow any time for the Respondent to get the Respondent's transcripts.
2. No character witnesses
3. Only 10 minutes for a break off the record to create questions for a witness, not 20 as stated in the former agreement between the UFT and DOE.
4. allow no time after the last witness' testimony to make closing arguments, limit closing arguments to the specifications.
5. If a party wants to go off the record, the reason and time off the record must be stated on the record.
There are many violations of arbitration, law, and policy in New York City's 3020-a which harm Respondents if you do not know where the hidden obstacles are. I dont say this to urge charged employees to settle, I am posting my comments to show you what a secret minefield has been created that anyone can overcome, if the right defense is presented. No arbitrator wants his or her name in a lawsuit or in a newspaper or blog, and I never write about any person while they are going through a 3020-a. After the hearing, as a reporter, if there has been any wrong-doing or any violation of protected rights, I will post here.
One of my goals is to expose all the prejudicial and illegal policies which diminish and harm tenured DOE employees who are brought to 3020-a either for misconduct or incompetency.
I asked a lawyer that works with me on 3020-a to send the hosts of this meeting, Adam Ross, lawyer for the UFT, Claude Hersh (NYSUT NYC) and General Counsel Courtenaye Jackson-Chase, an email, asking to be invited as a private attorney who works on 3020-a. We were going to invite all private attorneys. Here is Claude Hersh's response::
From: Claude Hersh [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
CLAUDE I. HERSH
Here is Courtenaye's response:
From: Jackson-Chase Courtenaye [mailto: CJackson-Chase@
We never heard from her again, despite a follow-up email. So I filed a Freedom of Information request:
email@example.com March 17, 2015
New York City Department of Education
52 Chambers Street
New York, NY 10007
Under the provisions of the New York Freedom of Information Law, Article 6 of the Public Officers Law, I hereby request to receive E-mail copies of:
1) any and all documents, letters, emails, agendas, videos, tapes, or any communications relating to invitations to the plenary meeting at Tweed on February 24, 2015 at 4:00PM.
If any record has been redacted, please identify which categories of information have been redacted, and cite the relevant statutory exemption(s).
If you have any questions relating to the specific record(s) or portion(s) being sought, please phone me at 212-794-8902 so that we may discuss them.
RELEVANT ADVISORY OPINIONS
Mar 25 (6 days ago)
$29.95/hour is the lowest salary at Tweed? To download emails and redact?
Joseph Baranello is the very same person who sent angry emails out to his boss, Courtenaye Jackson-Chase, when I posted his facebook page and his improper, disrespectful comments about Santacon (see here as well) and the Jewish celebration of sukkot. So sad, that the FOIL office has to belittle people and is protected by the massive business known as the Department of Education. Joe should be reported to the NYC Bar.