Join the GOOGLE +Rubber Room Community

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Principal Darlene Miller is Removed From the Museum School and Told She Cannot Enter The Building

Darlene Miller
Credit:  South Nyack-Grandview Police Department
The picture above was taken at the South Nyack-Grandview Police Department when Ms. Miller was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol on Dec. 17, 2011. I posted the picture above in an article I wrote about her arrest on December 30, 2011.

Ms. Miller is an old school tough-as-nails principal who has ruled the Museum School in Manhattan as an army camp for many years. She lost students' respect when she told them that  “What you wear is your intent.” The Museum School is a screened school, meaning it is a school that Chancellor Carranza loves to hate.

Yesterday I got several text messages telling me that she was told she was reassigned and told she cannot enter the Museum School building, effective immediately.

Email Sent informing parents that Principal Miller was removed
In 2019 I was hired to help two teachers charged with 3020-a incompetency while they were at the Museum School, and we - the lawyer I chose for the cases - were well-prepared with questions about her history of fighting students and staff. We spent three days with her in case #1 (February 12, 25, and March 7, 2019) while she gave direct testimony and we cross-examined her. To my great (and silent) joy, the first day I met her, she walked in looking exactly like her photo above. We all wondered whether she was sober. On day #2 she had brushed her hair and wore clothes that looked like they had been put on with some pre-thought.

Below is her testimony about her arrest which I copied from the transcript of the first day she gave testimony, on February 12, 2019.  She, Miller = A) was asked about the event by the very slick DOE Attorney David McCune (Q), who knew that we had the information about the arrest (the DOE reads all education blogs every day) and would ask Ms. Miller about it if he didn't:   


1 Q. Okay. I'm directing your attention now,
2 Do you recall an incident that made the
3 news, concerning you, in 2011?

7 A. How could I forget?

8 Q. All right. What was that, that happened
9 in 2011?

10 A. I was arrested.

11 Q. And what were you arrested for?

12 A. For driving while impaired.

13 Q. And what was the result of that arrest?

14 A. I, there was--they're still in the
15 process of that.

16 Q. Okay. And do you know what part of the
17 process you're in?

18 A. Yes.

19 Q. What part of the process?

20 A. Appellant.


Evidently no one knew about the "Appeal". Was she making it up?

Case #2 is still proceeding, and we are wondering what will happen. As the Department's attorney in that case did not call Ms. Miller in to testify about her filing termination charges against my client, we decided to bring her in as a hostile witness with a subpoena, before the coronavirus shut-down. 

I will let you know what happens next.

Betsy Combier
Editor, ADVOCATZ.com
Editor, ADVOCATZ blog
Editor, Parentadvocates.org
Editor, New York Court Corruption
Editor, NYC Rubber Room Reporter
Editor, NYC Public Voice
Editor, National Public Voice
Editor, Inside 3020-a Teacher Trials 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

After 4 years under this woman's tyrannical rule of my school, I'm glad justice has been served.

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll share if/when more light is shed as to the charges that resulted in her removal. Does FOIL allow you to find this information?

Anonymous said...

Dusty Miller is a terror to students and faculty alike. She should have been removed long ago. I taught under her for three miserable years and saw her abuse so many students and teachers with impunity. It's about time she was removed.

Anonymous said...

Darlene Dusty Miller is the poster child for rich white woman priveldge. Had she been anyone besides the connected, wealthy, friend of the superintendent of her school, she would have been fired and imprisoned a LONG time ago. I was a skilled teacher at Museum. I was getting student EOY scores at double the comp school rates. Despite this success for our school she also threatened me with discontinuance of contract. I strongly believe this was due to my visual impairment, though I can't prove that.

It amazed me how often she was impaired at work, we would joke about her playing Skittles with pills before coming to staff meetings.

I left to teach in NJ where I was, again, highly successful and have been recently promoted to the Central Board Office of my district directly beneath the Superintendent. This woman is a living example of awful corruptuion and a destroyer of fantastic teacher talent that leaves and goes elsewhere instead of staying and making improvements to the NYCDOE. I hope she is punished to the fullest extent of the law for her transgressions and the NYCDOE is ordered to pay damages to the good people she has harmed over all her years for emotional trauma and loss of potential wage gains in NYC system for all the time they looked the other way and covered for her.

-Museum School Battered Veteran, Now Accomplished Administrator

Anonymous said...

While I do feel pity for her, she was never a positive rallying influence on the student or educator community. I hope that the next principal takes the needs and desires of the school and its community into greater consideration (fingers crossed it's Mr. Lowey!)

Anonymous said...

Not sure what chemicals the anonymous October 9th poster is on but MR LOWEY was Miss Miller’s facilitator of evil along with his joke of a dean sidekick! Change in a good direction is removal of all that watched and did nothing about it !

Anonymous said...

Yes, Ms.Miller is something else. She lied about me and had me discontinued. She lied so much during the hearing and when the arbitrator questioned her and she gave a response, he began laughing because it was so absurd. I will not give specifics because it will implicate me. My advocate told me we won the case; however, the Superintendent overruled it. I recently found out Ms.Miller is working in another Manhattan School, how did that happen???

I agree with October 29th in that Mr.Lowey, the dean and even a number of teachers facilitated Ms.Miller's evil.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Ms.Miller is something else. She lied about me and had me discontinued. She lied so much during the hearing, when the arbitrator questioned her and she gave a response, he began laughing because it was so absurd. I will not give specifics because it will implicate me. My advocate told me we won the case; however, the Superintendent overruled it. I recently found out Ms.Miller is working in another Manhattan School, how did that happen???

I agree with October 29th in that Mr.Lowey, the dean and even a number of teachers facilitated Ms.Miller's evil.